[Samba] linux client DNS issues

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 9 14:38:02 UTC 2022

> On Tue, 2022-02-08 at 08:20 +0100, Miroslav Geisselreiter via samba
> wrote:
>>

>> I had the same error "DNS update failed:
>> NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER"
>> and the reason was wrong netbios name in smb.conf. I had to change
>> it
>> and used $(hostname -s).
>>
>> Mirac
>
> No, the fix there would have been to totally remove the 'netbios name'
> line, you do not need to set it.

This sent me down the path of realizing the hostname executable wasn't
installed on the Arch VM I'm trying to bind to the domain.  I've had
problems with this in the past (Vagrant won't work unless you install
the pre-historic route executable), but unfortunately installing
hostname (the inetutils package) didn't fix the problem.

Summarizing DNS issues when binding a computer to the domain:

  On Ubuntu/Debian:

  # samba-tool domain join ea.linuxcs.com MEMBER -U administrator

    --> A and PTR records are not created for the client host

  # net ads join -U administrator

    --> A record is created, but not the PTR record

On Arch linux I can't find the magic incantation which even creates the
A record.  None of this is a big deal, but it is inconvenient, and it
raises the question of how this works, which is what I'm curious about.