[Samba] Remove LanMan auth from the AD DC and possibly file server?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 9 09:15:48 UTC 2022

>> Or more likely they're running it in a completely isolated (or DMZ
>> gatewayed) environment with equipment that can't be upgraded (e.g.
>> instrumentation control PC's running old versions of Windows which
>> can't
>> be upgraded).  That's what we do; there's no good alternative unless
>> your user has, for example, a million dollars to shell out for a new
>> machine with new PCs, and even then.  We just got a new 1.5 million
>> dollar microscope and the control PC is running Windows 2012. \o/
>
> If you are paying 1.5 million dollars for something that contains a PC,
> then it should have been part of the contract that the OS was the
> latest version.

Hmm, well, yes, but it turns out that the numbers of vendors in some
cases is limited to one (so making demands is futile) and this is of no
concern whatsoever to the scientists, who are just focused on the
quality of images we get out of the system and who make the buying
decisions. I mean, they have other concerns. The computational parts of
these systems are fairly simple (in my opinion) compared to, for
example, sample preparation, which from my perspective is black magic
voodoo bedeviled by dragons (and the grad students doing the prep would
probably concur).

At least it's not Windows 7, which was the OS on the previous
instrumentation PC?  Or allow me to summarize: "just make it work,
Patrick."  Why anyone in science uses Windows for anything in 2022 is
beyond me.