[Samba] Member Join dnsupdate problem

Epsilon Minus theepsilonminus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 17:06:41 UTC 2022

El vie, 23 dic 2022 a las 13:23, Rowland Penny via samba
(<samba at lists.samba.org>) escribió:

> On 23/12/2022 15:44, Epsilon Minus via samba wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I have a problem when trying to add a samba as a member. I get the
> > samba authentication to work fine, but I can't get it to update the
> > dns records correctly.
> >

> > root at fs06:~# samba-tool domain join EXAMPLE.COM.AR MEMBER
> > -Uadministrator --server=DC05 -v
> > Password for [EXAMPLE\administrator]:
> >
> > ldb: Unable to open tdb '/var/lib/samba/private/secrets.ldb': No such
> > file or directory
> > ldb: Failed to connect to '/var/lib/samba/private/secrets.ldb' with
> > backend 'tdb': Unable to open tdb
> > '/var/lib/samba/private/secrets.ldb': No such file or directory
>
> You can ignore the errors about the missing 'secrets.ldb', this no
> longer exists on a Unix domain member.
>

> > Joined domain example.com.ar (S-1-5-21-527077859-282153845-2196410814)
>
> Yes, the computer joined okay.
>

> > root at fs06:~# samba_dnsupdate
> > The server update list was not found, and --update-list was not provided.
> > [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/lib/samba/private/dns_update_list'
> >
> > Usage: samba_dnsupdate [options]
> >

> > Password for [EXAMPLE\administrator]:
> > DNS Update for fs06.example.com.ar failed: ERROR_DNS_UPDATE_FAILED
> > DNS update failed!
>
> It would fail, that command should only be run on a DC and it isn't
> meant for what you are attempting to do, it is meant to add any missing
> DC dns records.
>
> The join should add the new Unix domain members dns records, if it
> doesn't, then there is usually a reason for this and that reason is that
> the computers /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf are not correctly set up.
>
> Rowland

Rownald

Thank you as always for your prompt response. I understand that
/etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf are well configured.

I made several changes, trying different things but I can't find the error.

root at fs06:/etc/samba# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
#127.0.1.1 fs06.example.com.ar    fs06
192.168.50.206 fs06.example.com.ar        fs06

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

root at fs06:/etc/samba# cat /etc/resolv.conf
#nameserver 127.0.0.53
nameserver 192.168.50.55
options edns0 trust-ad
search example.com.ar

the ip 192.168.50.55 is my DC.  try with NetworkManager and without.