[Samba] Member Join dnsupdate problem

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 23 16:22:27 UTC 2022

On 23/12/2022 15:44, Epsilon Minus via samba wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a problem when trying to add a samba as a member. I get the
> samba authentication to work fine, but I can't get it to update the
> dns records correctly.
>

> root at fs06:~# samba-tool domain join EXAMPLE.COM.AR MEMBER
> -Uadministrator --server=DC05 -v
> Password for [EXAMPLE\administrator]:
>
> ldb: Unable to open tdb '/var/lib/samba/private/secrets.ldb': No such
> file or directory
> ldb: Failed to connect to '/var/lib/samba/private/secrets.ldb' with
> backend 'tdb': Unable to open tdb
> '/var/lib/samba/private/secrets.ldb': No such file or directory

You can ignore the errors about the missing 'secrets.ldb', this no
longer exists on a Unix domain member.

> Joined domain example.com.ar (S-1-5-21-527077859-282153845-2196410814)

Yes, the computer joined okay.

> root at fs06:~# samba_dnsupdate
> The server update list was not found, and --update-list was not provided.
> [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/lib/samba/private/dns_update_list'
>
> Usage: samba_dnsupdate [options]
>

> Password for [EXAMPLE\administrator]:
> DNS Update for fs06.example.com.ar failed: ERROR_DNS_UPDATE_FAILED
> DNS update failed!

It would fail, that command should only be run on a DC and it isn't
meant for what you are attempting to do, it is meant to add any missing
DC dns records.

The join should add the new Unix domain members dns records, if it
doesn't, then there is usually a reason for this and that reason is that
the computers /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf are not correctly set up.

Rowland