[Samba] windows acls

Peter Carlson peter at howudodat.com
Tue Dec 20 21:48:52 UTC 2022

> On 20/12/2022 20:51, Peter Carlson via samba wrote:
>> Is there a way to reset the ACLs?
>>
>> I created a new folder in Accounting and was able to create a
>> document inside, and it has the right ACL.  I cant apply the correct
>> ACL using RSAT or windows tools since I dont have permission.  Is
>> there a way to set it using samba tools?  Or even reset them and then
>> set them up again using windows tools?
>>

> At the moment, your group has 'modify' permission, which is different
> from 'write'.
>
> Have you read and followed this wiki page ? :
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs
>
> Rowland

I read and followed that wiki meticulously during the setup.  The
problem *appears* to be how the files were originally copied over from
the Synology nas which previously owned the files.  The problem is now
resolved by:

1: mv Accounting/* acct_tmp

2: rsync -avP acct_tmp/* Accounting/

I'm assuming since I didn't have -X it lost the xattrs and -A it lost
the original ACLs and copied them with the defaults.

Looking at the permissions in windows, the files and folders are all now
correct.

Peter