[Samba] R: group 'Domain User' has changed rid in a new server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Dec 19 15:09:30 UTC 2022

On 19/12/2022 15:00, Corrado Ravinetto wrote:
> Rowland thanks a lot.
> This choice arrive from an old samba 3 installed many years ago, i think quite 20 years, then upgraded, upgraded and upgraded.
> The problem is not how to change rights on files but how can i change PrimaryGroupID on all users ??

There is no sane way of doing this.

You could use the 'ad' idmap backend and give every user a uidNumber
attribute containing a unique number and Domain Users a gidNumber
attribute containing '513'

Your idmap config line would have to be something like this:

idmap config DOMAIN : range = 500-9999999

I cannot recommend doing this, it removes the possibility of any local
Unix users.

It will be a lot more work (and it will be ongoing) than changing the
group ownership of the files through a script.

Rowland