[Samba] DDNS, DHCP and AD

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 16 19:12:27 UTC 2022

On 16/12/2022 18:45, Gregory Sloop via samba wrote:
> Top posting.
>
> I'm puzzled.
> I note, specifically, that ALL dns queries for the 3rd level domain that AD is in, get forwarded to the AD internal DNS servers.
>
> It's not that DNS lookups are failing, but that the *DDNS* records for stations aren't updated in AD.
> (So a AD joined station moves from one subnet to another, or gets a new IP lease on a different IP, but the *DDNS* A record (in AD only) doesn't get updated to point at the new lease it got from the non-AD-aware DHCP server.)
>
> So, lets just assume I want to "fix" this - and ignore if I *should* or not.
>
> You suggest that clients could update their AD records on their own. (Not having DHCPD do so.)
> Can you point me at a wiki article that describes how to do this?
>
> [I'm worried that we don't understand each other well, and that you misunderstand what's going on, due to your saying I should point all AD dns queries to AD DNS servers, which I'm already doing.]
>
> -Greg
>
>> On 16/12/2022 18:02, Greg Sloop <gregs--- via samba wrote:
>
>>> Bump.
>>> Anyone?

>> Your problem is that, whilst you may ignore the dns records in AD, your domain clients might not. You have seen that your clients are trying to update their records in AD (you can turn this off), they will also be doing other things under the hood.
>
>> I have always suggested that if you are going to use an external dns server, this server should always forward anything for the AD domain to an AD DC. This way, you do not get any problems. If you check on the internet for AD problems, there are long running responses, 'it is DNS' or 'it was DNS'.
>
>> Rowland

Your puzzled ??
You wrote something and I read it one way, but you now say it is the
exact opposite, I am the one that is puzzled. I think this may be a
language problem, I guess that English isn't your first language.

You wrote:

We handle DHCP outside AD. We also do DDNS there, and handle DNS lookups.

That, to me, says that your dns server (and dhcp server) is not on a DC,
if it is, then sorry, but that is how I read it.

If you allow your Windows clients to update their own dns records (which
they will attempt to do automatically), you have to set them to update
the reverse record manually i.e. you have to tick a box.

If I am still getting this wrong, then I suggest you explain your AD
domain a bit better.

Rowland