[Samba] Some older windows clients can't connect after upgrade

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 16 09:14:50 UTC 2022

On 16/12/2022 08:54, Emmanuel Florac via samba wrote:
> Le Thu, 15 Dec 2022 11:51:03 +0100
> Emmanuel Florac via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> écrivait:
>
>> After upgrading to samba 4.13 (from debian oldstable to debian
>> stable), some windows clients (windows 2008r2 and lower, Indows 7,
>> windows XP, etc) can't connect to the serveur anymore. My first move
>> was to enable SMBv1, now some linux clients connect using the older
>> protocol, but the windows client still fail to connect "can't
>> connect" error, neither using the UNC name, nor the IP adress;
>> neither from the windows explorer, or "net use //xxxx/yyy" in a CMD
>> shell.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Some more tests:
>
> "wbinfo -u" lists correctly the domain users.

Good, this shows there is a connection between the machine and AD.

> "getent passwd" only lists local users (is it OK?), but
> "getent passwd <some domain user>" works properly.

That is how it is supposed to work.

What is the AD DC ?

> We tried "net ads leave" and "net ads join", it works fine, and nothing
> changes: the machines that could connect previously still can, those
> that couldn't still can't. We rebooted everything of course, no dice.

 From the machine list that you posted, they should all be able to use
SMBv2, what will no longer work is Network Browsing, you will need to
use Network Discovery and run 'wsdd' for this (do an internet search).

> Using a local account from the server (vs an AD account) works. So
> there's something wrong about authentication in the AD, but I don't
> understand what's wrong.

can I ask why you are still using such old versions of OS and Samba ?
Not too mention Windows.

Rowland