[Samba] [newbie] Making sense of network discovery

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Dec 14 14:20:25 UTC 2022

On 14/12/2022 14:06, Gilles via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Windows 10 not seeing Samba servers through "net view" is the occasion
> to understand the issue.
>
> Did I get this right?

Yes

> Windows' Network Browser (both GUI and CLI?) relied on the Netbios API,
> which, for historical reason, relied itself partially on SMB1; The two
> weren't neatly separated at birth.

Wasn't Network Discovery released with Vista ?? So your machines should
be able to use it instead of Network Browsing.

> When WannaCry
> <https://dougrathbone.com/blog/2020/09/14/making-linux-samba-shares-browsable-to-windows-hosts-after-wannacry> came out, Microsoft had to disable SMB1 in a hurry… and broke Network Browser, leaving Windows users with no way to browse the network — while it was still possible to connect to a remote computer if you knew its name.
>
> Upgrading SMB1 to SMB2/SMB3 didn't solve t the solution since Netbios
> relied partly on SMB1.
>
> What did/does Microsoft offer as an alternative Network Browser that
> didn't rely on SMB? WSD <https://github.com/christgau/wsdd>? Does it
> work for both GUI and CLI (net view)?
>
> To avoid reconfiguring Windows 7/8 hosts, can a Samba server run both
> WINS and wsdd?

You shouldn't be using wins at all, it sounds like you are still running
an NT4-style PDC, if so, can I suggest you upgrade to AD.

> Thank you.
>
> PS: Is there an online archive of the list that's easier to search than
> downloading and grepping zip files
> <https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/>?

There are a few other Samba archives out there, whether they are easier
to search is debatable.

Rowland