[Samba] Different "Domain Users" GIDs created by rid backend

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Dec 14 12:14:44 UTC 2022

On 14/12/2022 11:49, Leszek Szczepanowski via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was investigating why one user cannot write to the share.
> I recognized by using temporary 777 rights on that share, that despite it
> coming as exactly the same group as mine that is "Domain Users", the files
> are created with different GID.
>
> drwxrwxrwx+  2 25360 100513 4096 Dec 14 11:27 FFFF
> drwxrwxrwx+  2 47740  10513 4096 Dec 14 12:22 TEst123

I would have thought this was impossible using the 'rid' idmap backend,
untill I saw that this was a CTDB cluster. Are you using the exact same
smb.conf on all the cluster members, or is it possible that you are
using 'rid' on this machine and 'ad' on others ?

The 'rid' idmap backend calculates the ID from this formula:

ID = low range + RID

So in your case:

ID = 10000 + 513

Which becomes:

10513 = 100000 + 513

I suggest you run 'net cache flush' and try again (after ensuring that
all the smb.conf files match).

Rowland