[Samba] Where am I connecting when using GPO editor?

Norbert Hanke norbert.hanke at gmx.ch
Tue Dec 13 21:50:17 UTC 2022

The Group Policy Management Editor might connect to a certain DC,
default is apparently the DC with the PDC role. But it is sometimes
misleading what it displays vs. what it really does.

When told to edit a script or .reg file or similar it opens e.g
\\your.domain.tld\sysvol\your.domain.tld\Policies\<policyUUID>\User\Scripts\Logon\whatever.cmd
which results in using a random DC.

If you save the file back to that or even a different random DC that is
not the one with the PDC role and your sysvol synchronization works only
in one direction you will have that script overwritten or erased with
the next synchronization run.
--> Be sure that you save that script to the DC that is the master of
your sysvol synchronization.

regards,
Norbert