[Samba] Samba support for Sonos S1 versions 4.15 and above

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Dec 13 21:05:30 UTC 2022

13.12.2022 11:19, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>  From Samba 4.17.0 it is possible to turn off SMBv1 at compile time with '--without-smb1-server' , I wonder if Ubuntu has used this ?

Ubuntu uses Debian packages (with minor modifications, now I managed so
there's no need for the mods anymore), so if debian has it, ubuntu also
has it. They haven't imported anything more recent than 4.13 into any
released version (there was an import of 4.16 though).

And it is unlikely SMBv1 will be turned off completely by a major distribution:
while I understand the concern and a wish to remove it, there's a thing like
backwards compatibility. We do receive bug reports still that connectivity with
Windows XP doesn't work.  Maybe we can force things in the future, but I guess
this time isn't here yet.

Also, me personally, I'd not turn it off just because this option is just too
new, in my view it is too risky to enable it - with a risk to get some breakage
here or there.

/mjt