[Samba] [Windows 10] Error 1231?

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Mon Dec 12 03:38:13 UTC 2022

Hello,

For years, I've successfully used a Windows7 host at home to connect to
a couple of Debian hosts running Samba 4. One of those ("debian_wins",
running 4.5.16) is acting as the master browser as well as sharing
folders, while the second ("debian_server") is just sharing folders.

I've recently added a Windows10 host, and notice the following things
when working on that host:

1. "net view" triggers error 1231. Enabling Network discovery on the
Windows10 host makes no difference

2. net view \\debian_wins triggers error 53

3. net view \\debian_server works OK, as well as "net use x:
\\debian_server\myshare. I can read/write with no problem.

FWIW, on the Windows10 host, I boot up without typing a password; I
don't remember if I used an empty password or just a dummy password (eg.
"test").

What do you suggest I try on the Windows10 host and/or the debian_wins
server to solve those issues?

Thank you.

PS : debian_wins' smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = DEBIAN_WINS

;Starting from Windows 10 1709, guest access in SMB2 and SMB3 is
disabled by default. This means that guest access from Windows 10 to a
Samba share will not work,
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server
protocol = SMB3

security = user
; so I don't have to create user accounts on Debian hosts
map to guest = Bad User
guest account = dummy

hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/24
hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0

;to solve the "WINS server 127.0.0.1 timed out registering IP" message
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = 192.168.0.15/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255

log level = 2

wins support = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
os level = 255

;this avoids needless errors in the logs if you have no printer
printcap name = /dev/null
load printers = no
printing = bsd

[some_dir]
path = /usr/share/some_dir
;comment = No need for Unix/Samba passwords
guest ok = yes
writeable=yes
browseable=yes
force create mode = 0644