[Samba] 4.17.3 on debian: vfs_full_audit issues

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Fri Dec 9 17:05:06 UTC 2022

09.12.2022 17:06, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:
> 09.12.2022 14:31, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
>
>>      full_audit:success = mkdir rmdir read pread write pwrite rename unlink
>>    init_bitmap: Could not find opname mkdir
>
> This is RTFM time.  man 8 vfs_full_audit, see the list of samba VFS operations
> at the beginning of the manpage.  There's no "mkdir" there.

Speaking of which. I see there's a bugreport about that filed in debian and
in redhat, - people do wonder why their setups broke with samba upgrade.
I don't think there was a big issue to keep old "compat" names for the new
calls. Looking at source3/modules/vfs_full_audit.c, - there's no issue to
support both naming schemes.

More, the "old" scheme (with mkdir and open, as opposed to mkdirat and
openat) is definitely more native, intuitive, understandable. The fact
that the open call is done using openat syscall is an implementation detail,
the thing actually done is open, the traditional and universally understood
open. So to me it looks like this rename is a bug.

/mjt