[Samba] Separate DNS hostname on client computers than AD domain name

Simon Fredriksson simon at lan2k.org
Thu Dec 8 14:30:14 UTC 2022

> 8 dec. 2022 kl. 15:20 skrev Kees van Vloten via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>:
>

> Op 08-12-2022 om 15:13 schreef Rowland Penny via samba:
>>

>>> On 08/12/2022 13:48, Simon Fredriksson via samba wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Is it possible to assign a DNS domain name that is different from the AD domain's own domain?
>>
>> No
> As long as it is in addition to your AD-domain, samba-dns can host any domain.
> So if "samdom.com" is you AD-domain, there is no issue in also serving "another.domain.org" from the samba's dns. And samba will then allow you to create and use SPNs with that name.
I was mainly interested in subdomaining computer objects within a domain.

>>> So I want my AD domain to be example.tld, but I'd like the machines FQDN to reflect location, so server1.eu.example.tld, server2.us.example.tld.
>>
>> Have you looked at 'sites' ?
Yepp, but then machines are still on the same dns subdomain.

>>> Will I need to set up a forest and two separate domains (making it 3 domains), or can this be accomplished in some other way? I tried looking at SPN/UPN, but not sure if it's related.
>>
>> SPN's have nothing to do with location.
>>
>>> Also, is it even possible with Samba to do forest + domains?
>>
>> No, Samba AD only does one forest and the domain is the same as the forest.
So doing a forest of example.tld, then domains in it like emea.example.tld and apac.example.tld is not a thing? Is it on the roadmap?

Thanks for the quick responses!
/Simon