[Samba] SAMBA 4.14.4 now prompts for userid and password after AIX 7.1 to 7.2 Upgrade

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Dec 5 18:47:34 UTC 2022

On 05/12/2022 18:26, Vaughan, Robert J via samba wrote:

> I knew you were going to say that, but I am running a Solaris 11 domain member from OS package Samba that reports version 4.13.8 without winbind with several hundred users right now
>
> And same experience on Red Hat 7 and 8 (reported versions a bit different but newer than 4.8)
>
> It complains about no winbind in the logs but yet it works
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert Vaughan

If you read here (under the heading 'Samba 4.8.0'):

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_4.8_Features_added/changed

It states:

Domain member setups require winbindd

Setups with "security = domain" or "security = ads" require a running
'winbindd' now. The fallback that smbd directly contacts domain
controllers is gone.

So, unless I have understood it wrong, if you are running Samba as a
Unix domain member, from version 4.8.0 you must run winbind.

The only way around this that I can think of, is that Samba has been
patched to allow smbd to work in the old way, where it could contact the
domain controller directly.

The other possibility is that you are not actually running a Unix domain
member, you are running a standalone server.

Rowland