[Samba] SAMBA 4.14.4 now prompts for userid and password after AIX 7.1 to 7.2 Upgrade

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Dec 5 18:16:42 UTC 2022

On 05/12/2022 17:25, Vaughan, Robert J via samba wrote:
> On 05/12/2022 15:49, Philip Cunio via samba wrote:
>
>> Is there any further information required?
>

>> Well, you said that the server that wasn't working, had a different
>
>> version of Samba to the ones that did work, so it was presumed that you
>
>> had updated the non working machine and that had fixed things.
>

>> I presume the server is still not working. You also posted a smb.conf
>
>> file, was that the entire '[global]' portion ? If it was, then I am
>
>> struggling to understand why any of your Samba machines are working, as
>
>> there were no 'idmap config' lines.
>

>> Rowland
>

> Perhaps he was running an OS-provided Samba package that did not enforce the need for winbind (despite messages logged that it was required for domain members)
>

> I had that situation with both Red Hat and Solaris
>

> Late in 2021 or early 2022 an upgrade of the OS package finally enforced this

Whilst this is a possibility, I somehow doubt it, the OP refers to
4.14.5 on the subject line and the winbind requirement came in at 4.8.0

I feel we need more info here.
What Samba version is running on the working machine ?
What version is on the non working machine ?
What version were they upgraded from ?

Rowland