[Samba] User cannot access member server share by name, only by IP

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 2 21:00:04 UTC 2022

On 02/12/2022 20:41, Luke Barone via samba wrote:
> So here's the sad part (for me): some users are showing up still in the
> 70_000-range, which they should not be. Is there a way to get all the user
> ID numbers from the member server's point of view, then re-assign them to
> be in the 100_000 range?

There is something strange going on here. If you use the idmap 'rid'
backend, the DOMAIN ID's are supposed to be calculated from the RID with
this calculation:

ID = RID + LOW_RANGE_ID

 From what you posted earlier, this becomes:

ID = RID + 100000

As '70,000' is less than 100,000 , there should be no way that your
users and groups are getting such low numbers.

All you DOMAIN users and groups should have Unix ID's starting from
101000 , normal user & group RIDs start from '1000'

Also from what you posted earlier, I am willing to bet that the group
'staff' has the RID '1109'.

Have you run 'net cache flush' ?

How are you creating users ?

How are you creating groups ?