[Samba] pam_winbind and home folders

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 2 13:13:47 UTC 2022

On 02/12/2022 13:05, Piviul via samba wrote:
> On 12/2/22 09:24, Piviul via samba wrote:
>> On 12/2/22 08:59, Piviul via samba wrote:
>>> Hi all, I have a PC joined to an AD domain that authenticate users
>>> using pam_winbind module. I have set the option mkhomedir and all
>>> seems to works except that in the domain home folders are created
>>> even home folders of the PCs. There is a way to instruct pam_winbind
>>> to create only user's home folders and don't create PC's home folders?
>> valid users = %S in [homes] section seems to solve the problem.
>
> doesn't works, in the folder where winbind creates the users home
> folders I continue to find PCs's newly home folders...
>
> :(
>
> Piviul

I think you are going to have to give us more info. For some reason, PAM
seems to be treating the computers as users (which they are in AD, but
rather special users), also it isn't winbind that creates home
directories, it is a PAM plugin.

What OS ?
How have you set the mkhomedir option ?
Why are the PC's connecting as users ?