[Samba] accidentally upgraded DC to 4.17.3 ... didn't work

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Fri Dec 2 10:05:56 UTC 2022

Am 01.12.22 um 18:57 schrieb Michael Tokarev:
> 30.11.2022 15:01, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
>
>> # apt-get upgrade -t bullseye-backports
>
> Umm, nope, this will upgrade everything from backports.. but ok.

Yes, that's what lead to the situation, that now my DCs run 6.0.x
kernels ;-)  ... No big issue, I assume, but not exactly intended. I
wanted to only use samba-related packages from "backports".

I hope this mixed situation doesn't lead to more problems in the future.

> Now I wonder why it hasn't been noticed before.  Because when
> upgrading bullseye samba from backports, the same thing WILL
> happen for sure - apt will not upgrade libwbclient0, and this
> anomaly will happen.

I wonder if and why only I hit this issue. At least according to the
mailing list.

> It is interesting that there was nothing in bullseye package of
> samba which ensured this "= current" relation between winbind
> and libwbclient0. This "= current" relation was because the
> packages were wrongly split, so an internal library without a
> stable ABI were put into libwbclient, and winbindd used that
> library, - from this usage, this "=current" relation come.
> When I fixed that, making the split right, the original bug
> (lack of special dependency on the exact version) has shown
> itself, and no one noticed.
>
> Stefan, you found a bug. A big one. Stupid thing which can
> make whole setup very problematic, which you already know
> about...

Oh, yes. took me a few days, as you know.

> I'm sorry for this. Please accept my apologies. You suffered
> quite a lot due to this. I didn't know. And I didn't know
> libwbclient should match winbind in the first place. The only
> excuse for me is that this is something I inherited, :) -
> there were lots of issues in there, hidden like this one and
> obvious, small and not so small.. I'll fix this on in the next
> upload so the dependencies will be right.

Thanks for your apologies, everything is fine. Something like this is
part of the risk of using opensource software (or software in general!).

I understand your description of the issue mostly ;-) and hope, that all
this leads to a working fix to avoid this for others.

Now that AD is more or less checked and fixed and tested .. hard earned,
but I learned things while debugging this: I see that positively.

> And thank you very much for your patience!

You're welcome.

Thanks for the help, thanks for maintaining the packages.

-

I have one domain member server still to upgrade there. Should I wait
for some package updates, or do something special? For sure I look at
that libwbclient-package.

Stefan