[Samba] Migrate and Update (Samba 4.1 ADDC to Samba Latest Version on different Server).

Juan Ignacio juan.ignacio.pazos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 18:30:41 UTC 2022

OK, I understand. I'm going to remove that "primary" word from my
dictionary, sorry for that.
I used that word because I don't know how to refer to the AD-DC who owns
the FSMO roles.

Your problem is that you waited too long between updates, 16 (if you are
> using the latest version of Samba) is a bit much, you should upgrade on
> a more regular basis.

I know that is what I wanna do after demoting the older one.
I was reading other threads and some people are complaining about updates
to 4.17.
I prefer to finish what I'm doing with the 4.16 now and then start updating
more often.
Since the DCs are in production and the old one with 4.1 is not on a VM i
must update with extreme caution, the clients cannot lose the ability to
log in.

I'm thinking of making another ad-dc with samba 4.17 and join it to the
domain for even more security so i can have 3 (4.1 older one, 4.16 DC2 and
4.17 DC3)

The lack of the 'server services' line is the same as setting them all,
> this is because they are the defaults on a DC.

Thx for that info.

Do you know why I cannot use the online backup of samba-tool on the new
server?

root at DC2:/domain/samba/domainBackups# samba-tool domain backup online
--targetdir=/domain/samba/domainBackups --server=DC2 -UAdministrator
ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (3221225653, '{Device Timeout} The
specified I/O operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period
expired.')
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line 186,
in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/domain_backup.py", line
261, in run
    ctx = join_clone(logger=logger, creds=creds, lp=lp,
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 1552, in
join_clone
    ctx = DCCloneContext(logger, server, creds, lp, targetdir=targetdir,
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 1576, in
__init__
    super(DCCloneContext, ctx).__init__(logger, server, creds, lp,
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 101, in __init__
    ctx.site = ctx.find_dc_site(ctx.server)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 363, in
find_dc_site
    cldap_ret = ctx.net.finddc(address=server,

Thx for your patience :-)