[Samba] accidentally upgraded DC to 4.17.3 ... didn't work

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Thu Dec 1 17:57:46 UTC 2022

30.11.2022 15:01, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:

> # apt-get upgrade -t bullseye-backports

Umm, nope, this will upgrade everything from backports.. but ok.

> Die folgenden Pakete werden aktualisiert (Upgrade):
>    bind9-host curl e2fsprogs git git-man init init-system-helpers iproute2 less libbpf0 libcom-err2 libcurl3-gnutls libcurl4 libelf1 libext2fs2
> libldap-2.4-2 libldap-common libpcap0.8 libss2 libudev1 libwbclient0 linux-libc-dev logsave man-db manpages-de

libwbclient0.  This is the only package which is/was needed.

Now.. I wonder if we can end up in a situation like this, when
libwbclient0 is old and everything else is new...  Lemme look...

Package: winbind
Version: 2:4.17.3+dfsg-2
Depends: libwbclient0 (>= 2:4.5.0+dfsg) ...

It looks like this is wrong.  And this explains why your wbinfo
didn't work - it used old libwbclient (from 4.13 apparently - from
bullseye) which weren't able to talk to current (4.17) winbindd.

Wow.

This is a bug, a real packaging bug.

Before, in bullseye, it was:

Package: winbind
Version: 2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u5
Depends: libwbclient0 (= 2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u5) ...

so winbind required exact version of libwbclient - apparently
in order to be sure that the two talk the same protocol between
each other.

Now I wonder why it hasn't been noticed before.  Because when
upgrading bullseye samba from backports, the same thing WILL
happen for sure - apt will not upgrade libwbclient0, and this
anomaly will happen.

It is interesting that there was nothing in bullseye package of
samba which ensured this "= current" relation between winbind
and libwbclient0. This "= current" relation was because the
packages were wrongly split, so an internal library without a
stable ABI were put into libwbclient, and winbindd used that
library, - from this usage, this "=current" relation come.
When I fixed that, making the split right, the original bug
(lack of special dependency on the exact version) has shown
itself, and no one noticed.

Stefan, you found a bug. A big one. Stupid thing which can
make whole setup very problematic, which you already know
about...

I'm sorry for this. Please accept my apologies. You suffered
quite a lot due to this. I didn't know. And I didn't know
libwbclient should match winbind in the first place. The only
excuse for me is that this is something I inherited, :) -
there were lots of issues in there, hidden like this one and
obvious, small and not so small.. I'll fix this on in the next
upload so the dependencies will be right.

And thank you very much for your patience!

/mjt