[Samba] accidentally upgraded DC to 4.17.3 ... didn't work

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Dec 1 14:04:04 UTC 2022

On 01/12/2022 13:48, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:

>> That is your perspective and I fail to see how something that is
>> turned off can bite you in the ass (by the way, 'ass' is another name
>> for a donkey, I think you mean the old English 'arse'). from my
>> perspective, anything that can alter something that you do not want
>> altering is a bad thing. I also cannot understand why breaking the
>> symlink is any different to turning off systemd-resolved. With my way,
>> you do not have an orphaned program left running.
>>

> If you turn off systemd-resolved, don't you then need to install another
> resolver package; e.g. resolvconf or openresolv? Using the
> /etc/resolv.conf symlink is called "stub mode".  systemd-resolved also
> works with static /etc/resolv.conf files, so when you replace the
> symlink with a static file you're still using systemd-resolved.

No, if you turn off systemd-resolved (and I would only do this on
something that I need to control e.g. a Samba AD DC), you can then
create a static /etc/resolv.conf
If you are using DHCP, then running something like systemd-resolved is
probably a good idea, but it must be fed the correct information.

> Regarding how it can bite you in the ass, here is a purely hypothetical
> example. In real life, your package management system will likely save
> you in addition to most packages maintaining backwards compatibility in
> order to accommodate devuan etc. users. These days rsyslog just reads
> from the systemd journal, although I think it still works the
> traditional way too. But suppose the developers released a new version
> that only reads from the systemd journal. If you had journaling turned
> of somehow and for some reason, rsyslog would stop working. Again, this
> is purely hypothetical and for illustrative purposes.

Of course you need to analyse just what you are proposing to turn off,
before you turn it off. If there could be problems later down the line,
you need to be able to mitigate them before tutning off whatever you are
proposing turning off. The thing I proposed turn off is easy to ensure
you will not get problems, just create a static file.

The problem with Linux (and its strength), is that there are numerous
ways of doing the same thing. I would hate for there to be only one way
of doing things.

Rowland