[Samba] accidentally upgraded DC to 4.17.3 ... didn't work

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Dec 1 12:11:15 UTC 2022

On 01/12/2022 11:35, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:

> On 11/22/22 03:04, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>>
>> The best fix for that is to turn off systemd-resolved on a Samba DC
>> and then create /etc/resolv.conf as you require it, that way, it
>> cannot get changed.
>>

> Since I've been dealing with this on a daily basis recently ....
>
> You don't have to turn off systemd-resolved.  Just delete the symlink it
> creates for resolv.conf in /etc, create your own static /etc/resolv.conf
> file and then restart systemd-resolved.  It's smart, and knows how to
> roll with this.
>
> Turning off systemd services is rarely what you want to do, and as more
> and more services align themselves with the convenience of systemd, this
> will come back to bite you in the ass eventually. Or never upgrade; your
> choice. <:)

That is your perspective and I fail to see how something that is turned
off can bite you in the ass (by the way, 'ass' is another name for a
donkey, I think you mean the old English 'arse'). from my perspective,
anything that can alter something that you do not want altering is a bad
thing. I also cannot understand why breaking the symlink is any
different to turning off systemd-resolved. With my way, you do not have
an orphaned program left running.

I initially thought that systemd was a bad thing, but as an init system,
it seems pretty good, it is all the other things that it has spawned
that are not really worth the effort.

Rowland