[Samba] Upgrade to 2:4.16.2+dfsg-1nmu1~deb11.1 borks printing

Aaron de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Wed Aug 31 16:42:29 UTC 2022

Apologies—I'm using Shortwave and when I sign my message "-A" it occasionally removes one of the recipients from the list if I don't catch it. I'm still waiting on Shortwave to fix it. 😉

I checked and the printers weren't disabled.

I've tested by submitting test pages from the windows printer properties dialog, from notepad, and from several internal applications we use.

When we're running the latest version of Samba, 100% of the sites are affected (~28 locations) and 100% of the printers are affected (~40 printers/copiers). Absolutely nothing prints except a test page submitted directly through the CUPS web GUI.

When we roll every site back, all sites and printers work again without problems. I've been combing through logs and haven't found anything that would indicate an error message.

Quite literally the situation is:

apt-get install samba=2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u4
Printing from any application on any computer works

apt-get install samba=2:4.16.2+dfsg-1nmu1~deb11.1
Printing from any application on any computer fails.

In light of that, do you want me to spend time setting a machine up to print directly to one of the copiers? It really seems like an issue involving the Samba/CUPS chain and not something related to the Windows workstations/printers/copiers.

Thanks,

-A