[Samba] upgrade from samba 4.13 to 4.16 broke CIFS Server Authentication

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 31 09:26:30 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-08-31 at 11:13 +0200, William Kirstaedter via samba wrote:
> 	Error verifying signature: parse error
> --------------ms010907030006020404070509
>
> thanks for your answers,
>
> maybe I need to specify a bit more....
>
> mainly I'd be interested in what the error in the smbd.log means,
> and
> how I could get a trace what exactly the netapp or the windows
> client
> sent to authenticate.
>
> Actually, since last friday all my tests are running in a virtual
> replica of the real system using the netapp ontap simulator and a
> copy
> of my univention ucs appliance vm.
>
> the user "cliff" is a test user (Clifford Unger from Death Stranding
> ...)
> so there should not be a sensible data leak when extracting logs or
> anything. I guess..
>
> thanks again!

 I have been doing a bit of digging into this and it seems that netapp
doesn't support the use of Samba as an AD DC

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/Does_ONTAP_support_Samba_domain_controllers

I think this means that you are not going to get any help from them.

It also looks like your only hope is reverse engineering, either that,
or have an accident with a really big hammer and your netapp device
(after backing up the data) :-D

Rowland