[Samba] Upgrade to 2:4.16.2+dfsg-1nmu1~deb11.1 borks printing

Aaron de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Tue Aug 30 18:02:12 UTC 2022

Hey everyone,

We were running Samba 2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u4 under Debian (Proxmox) and late last night we installed the update to 2:4.16.2+dfsg-1nmu1~deb11.1.

Everything appeared to go smoothly, but this morning we were flooded with calls about printing not working.

After digging around for about an hour, here are a few notes:
- Nothing in the Samba or CUPS logs that indicate any issues or even activity related to printers.
- You can see the printers from Windows by going to \\machine and connect to them with no errors.
- Submitting a test page causes it to show "printing" in the queue for several minutes, then Windows pops up with an error about submitting the print job to the queue. No activity in the samba or CUPS logs, nothing in the CUPS web GUI queue for active or completed jobs.
- Pulling up the CUPS web GUI and submitting a test page from there works perfectly.
- Access to Samba fileshares works without issue.

I downgraded one site to 2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u4 and printing immediately started working, then I downgraded every site.

I'm not entirely sure what broke, and there isn't any useful log information in the logs.

I can easily run tests in the evening or on weekends if anyone wants more detailed debugging info.

-A