[Samba] ldapsearch with ldaps

Stefan Kania stefan at kania-online.de
Mon Aug 29 09:03:54 UTC 2022

Hello to all,

following configuration:

dovecote as IMAP-server and samba 4.16 as domaincontroller. We need to
do the authentication from dovecot to ldap to do queries. We want to use
ldaps or TLS as protocol to connect from the dovecot to AD. To allow
connection to Sambas LDAP we set "ldap server require strong auth = no".
Then we tested with:

ldapsearch -D ktom at example.net -W -H ldaps://addc01.example.net -b
dc=example,dc=net

and it works, but as soon as we tried to do the same from the
dovcot-server we only get a:
ldap_sasl_bind(SIMPLE): Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

Is it possible to allow the connection via LDAPS to a DC from any host?

PLEASE: NO discussion about security!

Stefan