[Samba] authn timeouts enumerating (and connecting to) shares

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Aug 23 06:39:15 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-08-22 at 21:04 +0000, Aaron Johnson via samba wrote:
> Sorry about the MS style quoting here.  I can’t toggle it to a sane
> format.  Anyway…
>
> MYDOM.MYORG.COM is a Windows AD domain, with only Windows DCs.  The
> DCs appear to be Windows Server 2016, but I don’t know what the AD
> functional level is.  (Is there an LDAP query I can use to find
> out?  That would be easier than chasing down a member of the Windows
> team to find out.)
>
> The DC I’m connecting to is in mydomain.myorg.com.   As is
> myserver.mydomain.myorg.com.  However…. The DNS here is weird.  I can
> ask questions about DC1.mydomain.myorg.com and get NXDOMAINs in
> return.  Same for myserver.mydomain.myorg.com.  My guess is that
> Samba is finding the DC by getting DNS A records for
> mydomain.myorg.com.  It seems to be working without “password server”
> set in the smb.conf.

I think you need to chase down a member of the Windows team and find
out why the dns is weird (the functional level isn't a problem on a
Unix domain member).
Active Directory relies heavily on dns, so anything that connects to AD
should be using the same dns domain.
You shouldn't need to set 'password server', Samba should find the best
DC to use, but this relies on dns.

Rowland