[Samba] authn timeouts enumerating (and connecting to) shares

Aaron Johnson ajohnson1 at godaddy.com
Mon Aug 22 21:04:44 UTC 2022

Sorry about the MS style quoting here.  I can’t toggle it to a sane format.  Anyway…

MYDOM.MYORG.COM is a Windows AD domain, with only Windows DCs.  The DCs appear to be Windows Server 2016, but I don’t know what the AD functional level is.  (Is there an LDAP query I can use to find out?  That would be easier than chasing down a member of the Windows team to find out.)

The DC I’m connecting to is in mydomain.myorg.com.   As is myserver.mydomain.myorg.com.  However…. The DNS here is weird.  I can ask questions about DC1.mydomain.myorg.com and get NXDOMAINs in return.  Same for myserver.mydomain.myorg.com.  My guess is that Samba is finding the DC by getting DNS A records for mydomain.myorg.com.  It seems to be working without “password server” set in the smb.conf.