[Samba] winbindd / root issue

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Mon Aug 22 01:18:43 UTC 2022

On 8/21/2022 5:42 PM, Ken Bass via samba wrote:
> I had a working Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I just upgraded to 22.04 LTS. I use
> winbindd. While maybe not a best practice, this server is a
> virtualization server and one of its guests VM is the samba domain
> server.
> If the virtual machine containing the samba domain server boots, it
> will eventually allow root login. But not only does this take a long
> time, but I need to be able to log in as root without being dependent
> on the domain server being up. What could have changed / broken?

Just replying to myself ...

Seems the problem was my root user was not enabled / did not have a
password set.  So PAM had a lookup failure and moved on to pam_winbind
which confused me.

I could have swore I had a root password, but maybe it was removed at
some point. Anyway, setting a root password and console login works.