[Samba] winbindd / root issue

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Sun Aug 21 21:42:15 UTC 2022

I had a working Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I just upgraded to 22.04 LTS. I use
winbindd. While maybe not a best practice, this server is a
virtualization server and one of its guests VM is the samba domain server.

I am experiencing a problem I never had on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

When the system boots, I cannot login via the console as root. After a
timeout I get 'no logon servers'. I did not think the root user is tied
to winbindd being up and running? I understand domain users being an
issue, but not root!

system journal shows lots of these messages:

Aug 21 17:18:31 vm winbindd[2213]: [2022/08/21 17:18:31.549174, 0]
../../source3/winbindd/winbindd_cache.c:3441(set_global_winbindd_state_offline)
Aug 21 17:18:31 vm winbindd[2213]: set_global_winbindd_state_offline:
Rejecting to set winbind offline

If the virtual machine containing the samba domain server boots, it will
eventually allow root login. But not only does this take a long time,
but I need to be able to log in as root without being dependent on the
domain server being up. What could have changed / broken?