[Samba] unix_primary_group not used when writing files

Matthew Richardson m.richardson at ed.ac.uk
Thu Aug 18 11:13:22 UTC 2022

>> I could explicitly set 'mandatory' ACLs on the homedir and have these
>> propagate, but that feels like a workaround for something that the
>> docs
>> imply shouldn't be needed?
>
> Where does it imply that ? tell me and I will change it.

I was just meaning that since the samba docs don't mention things like
facls, setgid bits etc, this implies that the primary_unix_group setting
should 'just work' to set group ownership , and I shouldn't need to do
anything else 'special'. So yes, no doc changes needed!

> Your problem is possibly being caused by the share being connected by a
> member of the g_alice group (yes, I know there is only one user) and
> the group doesn't have write access.

I've changed the permissions to be 775 on /home/alice (with group still
g_alice) but it still creates files group owned 'domain user'.

Thanks,

Matthew
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th’ ann an Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.