[Samba] unix_primary_group not used when writing files

L. van Belle belle at samba.org
Thu Aug 18 09:53:32 UTC 2022

I think i said it wrongly..  see lower...

> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_ad
>
> "There is now a new setting unix_primary_group, this allows you to use
> another group for the users primary group instead of Domain Users.
>
> If this is set with unix_primary_group = yes, the users primary group is
> obtained from the gidNumber attribute found in the users AD object."
>
> "Whichever setting you use, do not change the users primaryGroupID
> attribute, Windows relies on all users being a member of Domain Users."
Yes,..

Ahh, A better try to say where it is.. (* where I change it if needed).

Only if you change the "Primary Group name/GID" in the Unix attributes tab in ADUC
(* W7 or or W2008 or  lower versions of windows still shows the Unix tab)
That’s the resulting Group linux writes..
*( which is by default in windows, always "domain users")

Only when I change that on a user, I get the group.

And I also did read the wiki again..
If it its all correct as you think, then you have found a bug..

Rowland, the "Primary Group name/GID" in the Unix attributes tab in ADUC ..
Can you show howto get that current value from ldapsearch?
Since I do see, or it at least looks like, the correct group was set, since it is showing the g_alice group with id command.

Greetz,

Louis