[Samba] Printing with Samba 4.16

Christian Naumer cn at brain-biotech.de
Wed Aug 17 10:58:26 UTC 2022

Am 01.08.22 um 09:39 schrieb Christian Naumer via samba:
> Am 01.08.22 um 09:37 schrieb Stefan Kania via samba:
>> Do you see the printers with "smbclient -L hostname"
>
> Haven't tried it from Linux. The Windows clients do not see any printers
> anymore. So we reverted back to 4.15 which works. Would have to try this
> during our next "upgrade trial" :-)

So we have setup a test machine (a clone of the original machine) and
upgraded to 4.16.4.

Here 4.16:

cn at printsrv-test ~]$ rpcclient printsrv-test -U cn -c "enumprinters"
Password for [DOM-02\cn]:
No printers returned.

[cn at printsrv-test ~]$ smbclient -L printsrv-test
Password for [DOM-02\cn]:

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	print$          Disk
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Printsrv-Test)
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

Here 4.15:
[cn at printsrv-test ~]$ rpcclient printserver -U "cn" -c "enumprinters"
Password for [DOM-02\cn]:
	flags:[0x800000]
	name:[\\PRINTSERVER\XXX-MFP]
XXXX XXX XXXX PCL X]
	comment:[XXXX XXX XX XXX PCL X]

[cn at printsrv-test ~]$ smbclient -L printserver
Password for [DOM-02\cn]:

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	print$          Disk
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Printserver)
	XXX-MFP    	Printer   XXXX XXX XX XXX PCL X

SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

According to the Wiki some things change for 4.16
(https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Print_Server)

And we have set this with regards to spoolss:
	# for 4.15 only these
         rpc_server:spoolss = external
         rpc_daemon:spoolssd = fork
	spoolss: architecture = Windows x64
         # additionally for Samba 4.16
         rpcd_spoolss:idle_seconds=300
         rpcd_spoolss:num_workers = 10

But still no joy. No printing from Windows and no printers listed with
RPC client or smbclient. The commands above were run as normal user.
Running them as Administrator does also not work (min domain uid = 0 is
set).

Anyone know where to search?

Regards

--
Dr. Christian Naumer
Vice President

BRAIN Biotech AG
Darmstaedter Str. 34-36
64673 Zwingenberg, Germany

T: +49 6251 9331-30
F: +49 6251 9331-11

cn at brain-biotech.com
www.brain-biotech.com

Follow @BRAINbiotech on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BRAINbiotech
Follow @BRAIN Biotech AG on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/brainbiotech

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Zwingenberg | Bergstrasse
Registergericht AG Darmstadt | HRB 24758
Vorstand: Adriaan Moelker (Vorstandsvorsitzender) | Lukas Linnig
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Georg Kellinghusen