[Samba] Domain join not happening on Debian/Ubuntu machines

Michael Evans michael.evans at nor-consult.com
Thu Apr 28 18:58:03 UTC 2022

It's currently really easy to miss this in the documentation...

There's only a small note near the top

"All AD Domain members must be in the same DNS domain and the Realm must be
the DNS domain in uppercase."

It would be more clear and more concise to have a good example configuration
file and quick comments.

E.G.

[global]
       security = ADS
       # REALM is DNS domain in ALL UPPER CASE
       realm = SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM
       # workgroup is often, but not always, the left most common name from
REALM
       workgroup = SAMDOM
       # CIFS / Windows expect to UPPERCASE all DNS names (???)

I'm not sure on the latter, but it seems to be what happens?  It might be
reasonable enough to expect lowercase DNS entries / even case insensitive
after so many years of URLs being predominantly lowercase. Thus it would be
nice if the documentation mentioned such things.