[Samba] SMB1 on samba 4.16 or samba 4.15 and previous versions

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 28 07:37:04 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-04-28 at 09:25 +0200, Trenta sis via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question related with SMB1, after reading
> https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.16.0.html I'm not sure if
> SMB1 exist (but is disabled and dprectaed by default) on 4.16 or
> doesn't?
>
> What happen  with previous versions 4.15, 4.14... Now using 4.10 and
> need to know if SMB1 code is the same that we are using or exist any
> difference
>
> thanks

All the released versions of Samba can still use SMBv1, but it was
deprecated and turned off by default at version 4.11.0 but you can turn
it on again.

>From Samba 4.17.0 it will be possible to fully turn off SMBv1 at
compile time, whether any distros will turn it off is unknown.

If you are still using SMBv1, then I suggest you stop, it is very
insecure. If you must use it (some old machine that can only use
SMBv1), then I suggest you sandbox it somehow.

Rowland