[Samba] Samba upgrade...v4.7.6->4.16.x

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Thu Apr 21 16:43:01 UTC 2022

I'm in the process of upgrading my couple of main DC's, from Ubunt8 18.04 to 20.04 - and from the Distro package in 18.04 to Louis's packages. (4.7.6 -> 4.16) I've skimmed the wiki about this and yes, I'm doing the least important DC first. (It's a VM, and I have snapshots, so it's easy to go back, if I have do, but I'd like to avoid as many mistakes as possible...)

Is this as simple as: upgrade Ubuntu, then uninstall the distro Samba packages and install Louis's packages and start them?
(Is there no real change in the Samba TDB's etc - or if there is, the Samba binaries will realize and upgrade the databases/schema as needed? What's the rule of thumb about how many versions you can skip over etc?)

I'm currently reading the release notes, as the Wiki recommends, but a quick "Yeah - that works fine" or "Dang, don't do that!" would be handy, if someone knows.
:)

TIA
-Greg