[Samba] Benefits of CTDB in a Active/Active cluster managed by Pacemaker

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Wed Apr 20 22:18:34 UTC 2022

Hi Alexx,

[CC: list, as per off-list email]

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 17:15:37 -0700, Alexx Bull <a.bull at opendrives.com>
wrote:

> For my setup, I have two groups of nodes and would like a setting to always
> assign a set of public addresses to a particular node group if it is
> healthy, but if no healthy node in said group exists the set of public
> addresses will instead be allocated to the other healthy but less-preferred
> node group. So ultimately the ability to assign an address to
> node groups depending on the state of nodes in the group.

Right.  That's an interesting requirement that CTDB can't handle right
now.

You can run CTDB without any public addresses and use other software to
manage them instead.  That way you will still get data consistency...
and whatever other parts of CTDB you use (e.g. service management).

In the future we plan to make CTDB's failover handling more flexible
and it would then be possible to implement something like the node
groups you want.

peace & happiness,
martin