[Samba] How to use Samba on Ubuntu. whose files are mapped to the Active Windows LDAP domain UIDs, not Active Windows UIDs .

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Apr 20 10:06:31 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-04-19 at 21:17 -0400, Mark London via samba wrote:
> Hi - We have a Windows/Linux environment.   The Linux computers use
> the
> Active Domain LDAP server.
>
> I'm running a Linux web server.   I want to create a Sambamount point
> on
> it, to allow Windows users to modify files in certain website
> folders.
> The problem is that Samba only uses Winbind for authentication.
>
> But because our LDAP UIDs are different than the Windows UIDs for
> users,

Your 'LDAP UIDs' will always be different to the 'Windows UIDs', this
is because Windows uses the RID and Samba uses either something mapped
to the RID or uidNumber/gidNumber attributes.

> this is a major problem. If I switch the Linux server to using
> Winbind,
> by putting it in nsswtich.conf, this will break the Linux server's
> file's ownership.

It sounds like you may be running Samba as a standalone server and if
you are, then your Samba IDs will never match the Windows RIDs.

> This used to work properly on an much older version of Samba, which
> didn't have to use Winbind to authenticate.

It sounds like you may have upgraded Samba and fallen into the 'SMBv1
is now turned off' hole.

What version of Samba were you running and what version are you now
running ?

It will also probably help if you post your smb.conf

Rowland