[Samba] Password synchronization from database

Bruno Marchioro emailparabruno at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 16:20:11 UTC 2022

Hello Rowland,

We use LDAP for authentication to various systems and services. Switches,
radius, firewall, ticketing system, linux (PAM) printing service, among
others.

Our problem is that registering users, passwords, resetting passwords and
everything else is centralized in a system that saves it in a SQL database
and not in LDAP or AD as it should be.

We already sync this data, including password, with LDAP without any
problems. But we couldn't find a way to send the already encrypted password
to Samba 4.

We were able to change the password there having the user's real password,
by changing the unicodePwd or the userPassword (turning on the
fUserPwdSupport heuristic). But we were not able to change the userPassword
by sending the password already encrypted like we do with LDAP.

Bruno Rampi Marchioro