[Samba] FreeBSD 12.3-RELEASE and Samba 4.13

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Apr 16 21:18:56 UTC 2022

On Sat, 2022-04-16 at 13:53 -0700, David Christensen via samba wrote:
> On 4/16/22 13:36, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>
> > You are running a version of Samba that has SMBv1 turned off by
> > default
> > and you need SMBv1 for Network Browsing. Also wsdd is supposed to
> > replace Network Browsing, you use one or the other, not both.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  :-)
>

> Is there a way that I can query nmbd and/or smbd to determine what
> protocols, etc., are supported and/or enabled?
>

> AIUI SMBv1 is deprecated and in the process of becoming unsupported
> everywhere.  But the last time I looked, SMBv2 seemed to involve
> domain
> networking and/or Kerberos.  I know nothing about SMBv3.
>

> I would prefer Workgroup networking, or whatever is the current
> equivalent.  I do not want to implement domain, etc., networking at
> this
> time.
>

> I only discovered wsdd(1) yesterday, and have little experience with
> it.
>

> What is the current way to implement Workgroup networking (or
> equivalent) on Samba 4.13?

Do you need SMBv1 ?

Or to put it another way, do you have any old computers that can only
use it ?

If you don't, then you have no need to run nmbd, just run smbd and use
wsdd to get Windows to show your Samba computers in Explorer and Avahi
to show your computers on Linux. Add 'disable netbios = yes' to
smb.conf and remove all references to wins.

Rowland