[Samba] sharing an autofs nfs mount

Thibault Roulet thibault.roulet at epfl.ch
Tue Apr 12 09:14:28 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Just a quick test this morning on my setup to change this NFS SMB config
in place at the moment.

::Machine1::
This machine is running CentOS 7 and users are auth via LDAP when using it.
The /opt/data/ folder contains one sub-folder per user where they store
various things. Ownerships of those folders are defined by the
user:group from the LDAP.

Then I added this samba share.

[global]
     workgroup = LOCAL
     security = user

     passdb backend = tdbsam

     client signing = mandatory
     server signing = mandatory
     server min protocol = SMB2

[data]
     path = /opt/data/
     comment = Shared data
     valid users = datashare
     browseable = No
     read only = Yes
     inherit acls = yes

I mounted this share on my server using this "datashare" local account,
user folders are visible but with root:root ownership.

Is there a way to tell samba on machine1 to populate/forward/keep
user:group files information?

Thanks in advance !

Thibault Roulet