[Samba] sharing an autofs nfs mount

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Fri Apr 8 13:16:16 UTC 2022

On 4/7/22 11:00 PM, Thomas Kamalakis via samba wrote:
> In our case we needed to mount the user home folders from the file server
> and we could never get it to work with cifs - we would get permission
> errors and a login loop in Gnome - autofs was complaining about not finding
> the kerberos ticket. That's why we also use NFSv4 for Linux clients and
> CIFS for Windows clients - it seems to work but there may be some issues
> (with file locking?) that we are unaware. Interestingly enough CIFS works
> in our nextcloud server.
>
> Before installing the fileserver, we had an old ZFS storage system from Sun
> which pretty much worked like this, it exported user home folders with both
> CIFS and NFS but used SMBv1 which is depreciated.

We don't mount entire home directories via nfs, but we mount the user
Documents folder via NFS (really a link to some mounted NFS path on
/nfs/..../user)

For Windows clients the same directory that is shared via NFS is shared
  via Samba and via policies redirected from My Documents.

In this entire setup there is no Samba over NFS, the server that has the
documents folders share the local filesystems via NFS and Samba.

For this we use Samba Posix ACLS only, and this doens't limit features
or anything because as these share are to be used by a single user, so
no complex ACLs are required.