[Samba] [EXTERNAL]:Re: A disconnected network can, for all practical purposes, hang your system.

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 7 11:00:46 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-04-07 at 10:34 +0000, Jaideep Shankar wrote:
> > OK, but you called it 'Samba' :-)
>
> Sorry for that, it was a copy paste error.
>
> > Have you tried connecting from two Linux machines ? If so, do you
> > get the same result ? It is possible that the Win10 machine is not
> > releasing the lock.
>
> I have not tried that, but I'm afraid that wouldn't help, since this
> is a valid scenario of usage. The windows 10 machine was disconnected
> from the network, so whatever it does, will not affect the
> interactions between the Linux server and the Linux client.

What I was trying to get at was: This may not be a Samba problem, it
may be a Windows problem. If you try this with two Linux clients and it
works, then it is a problem with the Windows client, it isn't releasing
its lock before disconnecting. If it is a Windows problem, then it is
very doubtful that Samba can fix it.

Also please do not CC me in any replies, just reply to the list.

Rowland