[Samba] go IPv6, fade out IPv4

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Fri Apr 1 12:43:23 UTC 2022

On 4/1/22 8:08 AM, Samba.org Admins via samba wrote:
> Dear Samba.org list members,
>
> as you might have heard, the pool of IPv4 addresses is exhausted since a
> couple of years already. As a result of that, companies can buy IPv4
> addresses in online auctions and the prices for that are going crazy.
> You can have a look at https://auctions.ipv4.global/prior-sales to see
> the current prices that need to be paid. These days you can get more
> money out of IPv4 address blocks than out of Bitcoin actually. Don't get
> us wrong, we don't recommend either actually.
>
> Also our hosting provider was forced to raise the prices for our IPv4
> addresses considerably and announced that the prices will be raised even
> more in the near future. We're expecting that we'll soon have to pay
> more for the IPv4 addresses than we pay for the server hardware itself.
> For that reason we're planning to get rid of the rising costs of the
> deprecated IPv4 addresses.
>
> We're offering all of our services via IPv6 since many years and we want
> to switch them to IPv6-only in 365 days from now on (2023-04-01) to cut
> the unpredictable costs of IPv4.
>
> Most people already have IPv6. If your provider doesn't offer IPv6 to
> you, you should contact the provider and ask him to enable IPv6 asap.
> You might even ask your money back if you had no IPv6 in the last couple
> of years, because the 10 year old RFC 6540 mandates that IPv6 is a
> must-have for nodes claiming to support IP. In other words, if you don't
> have IPv6, then you don't have internet access.
>
> We created a web site for you to check if you have working IPv6 support:
>
> https://ipv6-test.samba.org

I don't think this test is working right. It says I see a happy face (it
is gray colored) with a yellow below it. I am pretty sure I don't have
IPv6 support and will not have in many years (Venezuela) but at least my
mail servers have it. So I will be able to access the mailing list.

https://ipv6-test.com/

Says correctly I don't have IPv6 connectivity. What is your test website
doing? checking AAAA resolution from an IPv4 address?