[Samba] How to move shares from DC to MS preserving permissions?

Denis CARDON dcardon at tranquil.it
Fri Apr 1 12:12:28 UTC 2022

Hi Antonio,

Le 01/04/2022 à 11:53, Antonio Trogu via samba a écrit :
> I need to move some shares from an AD DC to a new member server joined
> to the domain. These shares are on LVMs on iSCSI targets, but when I
> mount them on the new member server they are not accessible to the
> domain's users except to Administrator. Is it possible to configure the
> member server's Samba to preserve users' permissions on the moved shares
> without having to propagate them again (on hundreds of TBs)?

if you are confortable with python-ldb / python-tdb you can use TDB
mapping on the member server and recreate the tdb map by script.

You can read current mapping from idmap.ldb on the domain controller and
re-inject them in the tdb map on the member server.

By the way, ACL propagation speed depends much on the number of files
rather than the total volume, and if you are using only posix ACL or
Windows ACL. Using getfacl / setfacl it may not take that much time to
propagate ACL again. I've done it dozens of time on small and large file
servers during domain merge / migration.

I would rewrite the tdb mapping only if the acl propagation really
overflow your maximum acceptable downtime.

Cheers,

Denis