[Samba] Samba 4.13 AD: How to Change Default Computer OU?

Jonathan Kreider jonathan.kreider at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 02:25:44 UTC 2022

The link below provides some interesting details about the preparation for
and results of running Microsoft's redircmp command.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/identity/redirect-users-computers-containers

Especially this.

 "Note

When Redircmp.exe is run to redirect the CN=Computers container to an OU
specified by an administrator, the CN=Computers container will no longer be
a protected object. This means that the Computers container can now be
moved, deleted, or renamed. If you use ADSIEDIT to view attributes on the
CN=Computers container, you will see that the systemflags attribute was
changed from -1946157056 to 0. This is by design."

So in this circumstance the computers container could actually be deleted.

But the rest of what redircmp does under the hood remains undocumented, at
least on this page.

Hth

Jonathan