[Samba] wiki entry regarding updating self compiled samba addc (4.11.x -> 4.15.0 in my case)

miles miles at atmos.eu
Wed Sep 29 19:11:41 UTC 2021

Hi Patrick,Yes, you can get application settings for different applications, if the AppData\Roaming folder is redirected. This may however, conflict with roaming profiles, if used. In this case I would recommend not using roaming profiles.I happened to stumble over this the other day, an ancient user account for which I happened to forget to remove the roaming profile definition. Behavior was strange.Best regards,Peter
-------- Original message --------From: Patrick Goetz <pgoetz at math.utexas.edu> Date: 9/29/21  19:06  (GMT+01:00) To: miles <miles at atmos.eu> Subject: Re: [Samba] wiki entry regarding updating self compiled samba addc
  (4.11.x -> 4.15.0 in my case) Very helpful -- thank you.I guess the cons are mostly that if you log on to a new machine you won't get your firefox bookmarks and stuff like that. In my user's case, I think they can live with this, given that they were ready to just live with local logons.On 9/29/21 00:48, miles wrote:> Hi Patrick,> > I had a similar problem 4 years back. When I migrated Samba from a > NT-style domain to an AD based domain, I switched to folder redirection > using GPO, which seemed to be preferable according to MS documentation > at the time. I chose to redirect everything possible, to simplify the > setup (about 10 workstations). My setup is exclusively based on Windows > ACLs, no unix logins. It has been working nicely since then.> > There are certainly pros and cons using folder redirection vs roaming > profiles, but one can always mix, where one is preferred over the other.> > Just my 5 cents...> > Best regards,> > Peter> > > Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.> > -------- Original message --------> From: Patrick Goetz via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>> Date: 9/28/21 23:46 (GMT+01:00)> To: samba at lists.samba.org> Subject: Re: [Samba] wiki entry regarding updating self compiled samba > addc   (4.11.x -> 4.15.0 in my case)> > > > On 9/28/21 13:46, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:>  > On Tue, 2021-09-28 at 20:04 +0200, Jürgen Echter wrote:>  >>>  >>>>  >>>>  >> yeah i did that and thats also mentionend on the wiki, thats why i'm>  >> asking as it wasn't that clear to me.>  >>  > I will try to make it clearer.>  >>  >>>>  >>>>  >>> Depends, if you just ran './configure', then delete>  >>> /usr/local/samba>  >>> (after backing it up), if you used a different PREFIX, then delete>  >>> PREFIX/samba>  >> ok, this would force me to join a new machine as a restore is not>  >> possible on an already productive DC regarding to the wiki.>  >>  > Well, yes, it probably would.>  >>  >>  >>  >>  >> then i'll do that next time, i thought i could do an inplace upgrade>  >> without touching/moving my roaming profiles i got on there.>  >>  > It isn't recommended to use a DC for anything other than>  > authentication, you really should have the roaming profiles on a Unix>  > domain member>  >> > > I thought everyone was trying to get away from roaming profiles because,> for example the AppData folder starts to fill up with cruft like browser> and email caches, making login/logout times unbearably long for users.> > Does this work better than in the PDC/NTLM days? I'm in the process of> upgrading such a network (which has admittedly been in place far too> long) and it literally takes 45 minutes for users to logon or logoff.> They specifically asked not to have roaming profiles for this reason, so> I was just going to map the Dektop, Documents, Downloads, etc. folders> (I think this is called Windows Profile Folder Redirection) using a GPO,> which seems to be how most people are doing it these days.> > Also, this page:> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Roaming_Windows_User_Profiles> > tells me:> -----------------> Whilst it is possible to use POSIX ACLs for the profiles share on an> Unix domain member, it is recommended that you set up the permissions> from Windows. To do this, see Setting up the Profiles Share on the Samba> File Server - Using Windows ACLs.> -----------------> > Hmm, well yeah, but I linux desktops too and the permissions need to> work everywhere, so POSIX extended ACLs it is. Of course I have no> intention of putting any shares on the DC, so that's not a consideration.> > Final question about this: The page referenced above shows a chart of> Windows profile suffixes. Since part of this project includes setting up> several new PCs which will presumably be upgraded to the most current> version of Windows 10, I found the lack of a server reference in that> chart for Profile version V6 to be a but unnerving. Does this mean Samba> does not work with V6 profiles; or maybe I should be asking what is the> difference between, say, V4, V5, and V6?> > I'm guessing this fact alone should be a deterrent to using Windows> Profiles? "Most notable about Windows 10, however, is that the 'profile> version' increments can now happen with Windows 10’s feature upgrades."> > -- > To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the> instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba