[Samba] wiki entry regarding updating self compiled samba addc (4.11.x -> 4.15.0 in my case)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 28 17:38:15 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-09-28 at 19:13 +0200, Jürgen Echter via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i upgraded from samba 4.11.x compiled with PYTHON=python2 ./configure
> to samba 4.15.0, i got some libraries left over which insisted on
> samba 4.11.x and made samba-tool crash.
>
> for example:
>
> libsmb_samba_internal.cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
> simple_dn.so
> simple_ldap_map.so
>
> I read
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#The_Update_Process
> mentioning special treatment for self compiled samba.
>
> Quote:
>
> If you update Samba by compiling from the sources, you should be
> aware that code can be removed for various reasons. If code is
> removed and you compile and install Samba over your existing Samba
> installation, this can lead to old libs being left on disk, this can
> lead to errors. For this reason, it is recommended that you replace
> the entire Samba installation if you compile Samba from sources. This
> should not affect Samba when updating by using distro packages.
>
> So i had a look at
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source#Upgrading_a_Self-compiled_Samba_Installation
> and it only says i should use the same configure options, which is
> not possible in this case.

Why not ? If you used 'PYTHON=python2 ./configure' before, then you
should just use './configure' this time. If, as it seems, you compiled
Samba over an existing Samba directory, then you can get 'left overs',
which you seem to have.

As this is a DC, I would just join an additional DC to the domain
(using the latest Samba) and then demote the old DC.

> So my question is what directorys are safe/needed  to delete prior to
> "make install" the new version?

Depends, if you just ran './configure', then delete /usr/local/samba
(after backing it up), if you used a different PREFIX, then delete
PREFIX/samba

> Or what would you recommend to do before upgrading to a version
> without python2 support?

As I said above, just join a new DC instead.

> Maybe the wiki could be updated too, to make this more clear.

I will have a look at the wiki and try and make it clearer.

Rowland